Friday 19 June 2015

How to Alter Colour of Black and White Handprints


One of my most precious momentos from our time with Mila are her hand and footprints, I have created a variety of things using her handprints, such as these ornaments, but I really wanted to be able to have colour versions of her handprints.


This tutorial uses wiidely available basic software and is intended as a guide for those who do not have the relevant experience to use Photoshop, Illustrator or similar software.  There are no doubt many other ways of altering the colour of your child’s black and white handprint, if you know someone who is a graphic designer they may be able to help you do this in a different way.  I use Firefox as my browser, and Windows operating system; this uses the website StencilGram (version as at 18 June 2015).

Follow these simple steps to alter the colour of your child's handprint ...


1.  Scan handprint to your computer.

2.  Open scanned image and crop as required.  Cropping away excess background helps us to more accurately size the handprint later on.

3.  Open web browser and navigate to http://stencilgram.com/  


4.  Click ‘Upload an image to begin’ button.  Find and select your scanned (cropped) handprint image.  It may take a minute or so for the site to process your image.

5.  Edit your image as required:

Use these controls to alter colour and balance

  • Click on ‘Foreground’ to select a different colour.
  • Click on ‘Background’ to alter the background colour
  • Click on ‘Border’ to alter the border colour.  If you don’t want a border, set the Border colour to white (or the same as the background colour).
  • Slide the ‘Balance’ slider left or right to adjust the ‘stencil’.  For Mila’s handprint, I moved the Balance slider about ¾ of the way to the right.
  • Slide the ‘Border’ slider to the right to widen the border.

6.  When you are happy with the image, click the ‘Push to Finalize!’ button.  
7.  To save a copy of the image on your computer, click the ‘View/Download Full Size’ button.  This will display the finalized image in a new tab.  Right click on the finalized image, and select ‘Save image as…’ to save a copy of the image onto your computer.


 
You need to repeat this process for each desired colour.

Before printing and using your image, you may need to adjust the size of it – I do this in Microsoft Word as follows:

1.  Open new Word file.
2.  Select Insert | Picture.  Find and select the image you created on the Stencilgram website
3.  Once inserted into your document, right click on the image.  Select ‘Size …’
4.  Adjust size accordingly.  For Mila’s handprint, through trial and error I discovered that setting the height to 2.7” was as close to the actual size as I could get.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. It's such a wonderful idea for those who only have so little to remember their baby by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I wish I had time to post other ideas I have.

      Delete
  2. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...